 |
| Breakfast: poached egg on wilted spinach |
I've come up with a great idea of including some pictures of the Stone Age food I've been making on this blog, this could revolutionise the Internet! I ended up taking two sleeping tablets last night, which was not stone age of me but did give me a very good night's sleep, from midnight(ish) until Ten. I should mention that my occupation at present consists solely of trying to get better, my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) means that I'm not able to work.
I hope that a quick glance over these photos will convince you that I am a nouvelle cuisine kind of cave man. Breakfast is poached egg on wilted spinach with a sprinkling of nutmeg, salt and pepper. I prefer poached to fried egg, but normally fry due to not being very confident about poaching. I determined to learn the knack and, like a true Neanderthal, reached for my Delia. As instructed, I poached the egg in simmering water for a minute and took off the heat for ten. Perfect results, very tasty.
 |
| Dinner: mushroom pizzas |
On to dinner, and I found a recipe for low carb pizza, replacing the pizza base with a baked Portobello mushroom. I couldn't get Portobello, so I had to make to with two big mushrooms. I baked these for ten minutes on a greased baking sheet (only greased after they started sticking) and then added my sauce of tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, grated ginger and basil, with toppings of sliced garlic, green olives, toasted pine nuts and grated Grana Padano cheese. This all went into the oven for fifteen minutes and came out looking so delicious that I ate them without stopping to take a photo. Luckily I had taken this one just before they went in.
 |
| Tea: raw courgette, carrot and broccoli |
I had an hour or so of sleep in the afternoon and haven't really woken up since. I didn't feel very hungry at tea time, so I though I'd have a bit of raw vegetable. I used a potato peeler to slice up half a courgette and a small carrot, and added a few broccoli florets. This started to look like quite a nice little dish, and I felt encouraged to add pine nuts, nutmeg, grated Grana Padano and a little vinaigrette dressing.
I really enjoyed this dish. I found that the raw vegetables really slowed my eating pace, and I savoured more than I might have with a cooked meal.
I've had no reflux problems today, but I have been very tired and light-headed at times which I'm putting down to my poor sleep the night before last. With CFS, missed sleep or over-exertion cast a long shadow, it can take a few days to recover. I do feel like someone 'taking a cure', even though in practical terms all that I have done so far is to reduce my carbs and cut out artificial sugar.
This is so interesting John. As Sam probably told you today, he followed the Palio diet for training reasons a few years ago and was really impressed with the difference it made. I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
ReplyDeleteIndeed he did Judith, I just posted mentioning that very conversation!
ReplyDelete