![]() |
| Two loaves of bread, cooling on a rack a few minutes ago |
I could've done without rice
(Though I've risked a few grains
And they've been very nice)
And I haven't craved muesli
As much as I feared,
It being my favourite
breakfast for years
The glamour of cous cous
Had started to fade
Of porridge I've never been
Keen anyway
Potatoes? Abandoned!
Without being missed!
Though in winter, one baked
Will be hard to resist
The niggle, the tickle,
The craving I feel
Is for crunch with my breakfast,
Or with any meal
The butter, the honey,
The humble poached egg
All yearn for the touch
Of a slice of grilled bread
Toast! Toast!
I miss you the most!
At midnight the toaster
Goes pop with your ghost
As that wraith roams the house
And I dance to its drums
And follow the seductive
Trails of crumbs
I feel that I might
Nay, I know that I must
Bite lovingly into
Your o'arching crust
My cravings needs quenching
My needs must be met
I'll just go and check
If my loaf is done yet
So anyway, I decided it was time to try adding bread back into the mix and baked a couple of loaves today. No big deal, just a cool-headed, scientific decision. I can't report my findings yet as the experiment has only just come out of the oven but as soon as the loaves are at eating temperature, I'm in there!

No comments:
Post a Comment