Sunday, 7 September 2014

Coming out of the fog to round up my week

Two weeks since I resolved to change my diet in order to be able to quit my stomach acid-reducing PPI drug, I still can't quite believe the success I've had. I've also really enjoyed all the new dishes I've been sampling, I certainly never thought that a reflux friendly diet would be any fun. Whenever I have read about beating reflux through lifestyle changes before, it has always been rich food, alcohol and smoking that have been the suggested triggers to avoid. The message that comes across is; 'you can either take the drugs or resign yourself to hermit's diet.' I'm almost surprised that 'stimulating conversation' hasn't been added to the list. But here I am, doing very well just by cutting down on carbohydrates.
My favourites this week have been Celeriac Mash, which I've made twice and both times eaten before I thought to take a photo, and Thai Fish Soup, which is an old favourite actually improved by the removal of noodles and the addition of broccoli and more fish!
I've also indulged my love of fresh Tuna with Tuna and Avocado salad, where the raw Tuna is 'cooked' cold by a lime and chilli dressing, and Seared Tuna Steak, where frying for one minute on each side leaves the tuna beautifully red and raw all through the middle.
We've also brought in the winter favourite, Pot Roast, a little early this year with a Brisket of Beef from the most excellent Model Farm, whose weekly delivery provides our milk, eggs, butter and most of our vegetables. Highly recommended.
So much for Gastric Reflux, what about that other malady? What about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? I didn't expect to see immediate improvement in CFS as a result of this minor diet change, but I am hoping that it will be part of a foundation for recovery. One possible problem that has occurred to me is that by restricting carbohydrates, I could be reducing my energy still further. The solution is to make sure that the calorific value of the food I'm eating is sufficient for my needs, so what are my needs? CFS means that I'm not very active, but does that mean that I'm not burning much energy and so don't need many calories coming in? Or am I burning lots of energy to little effect, in which case I should be upping my calorie intake? In any case, in order to get some informed advice, I have asked my doctor for a referral to a dietician or nutritionalist and will report back. I hope to be posting more this week about a number of issues around CFS that have appeared in the fog of my brain while writing this, but which are for now, lost in the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment